Urns used for Christmas Decor


Martha Stewart does it best! I love using urns for christmas decorating
 and have plans for my own urns this year. 
Its December already~seems like the time is just flying by!
 I plan to dig out my christmas things today and get the house decked this weekend.  Not sure when we will put the tree up, because we do a real tree, and here in Boston, with the heat going, it can really dry out a tree very quickly.  I bought an antique urn at auction this summer and I want to put my tree in it. It is heavy cast iron and was in pieces on the auction room floor. Well it is missing a part to it, and I might have to track down a part that can work so I can have this gorgeous old urn in chippy white look like an urn, and not a bowl on a pedestal. But for now I think it would be a good thing to put the tree in, it holds water and has a large reservoir. You can see it sitting out in my yard with some mums in it last month. 
The big container, or bowl or the urn has a stem that is sitting inside the pedestal, or plinth. 
This pair of old urns has the big squareplinth that is then covered by the base of the urn which in turn holds the bowl or the urn. The pieces are bolted together~and the one I bought did not have the base, just the plinth and the bowl with half of the middle section. The bowl part has the stem that screws to another section that joins the base. I am hoping I can find a section and marry them together, but until then I think my tree will just sit in the big bowl on the plinth. The thing is enormously heavy~I will enlist hubs help in getting inside the house this weekend.
Last summer while in New Hampshire we found a lot of old urns, and many reproductions. They don't give these away, or they would have been loaded up into our truck. Here is Mr. Maison Decor looking at the price for me. I think urns go anywhere, from a mansion or classic estate to a cottage or bungalow.
 I fell in love with this woodland style Christmas tree in an urn. Isn't it fabulous? I have two small urns out by the front door that will get little christmas trees and they always look so cheery!
This tiny urn sits in the kitchen holding a tiny boxwood topiary. There is just something timeless about an urn, and you can find uses for them in almost every capacity. I used to put pencils in this one on my desk.
This is the most traditional way to use a pair of urns. Stately and elegant!
 Switching gears for a moment~look what was in our backyard the other morning. A large coyote! This part of the yard is where hubs keeps his big granite rock collection and other things...the coyote is steps away from my little glass house and our front yard!  He stood out there at 8 in the morning for about 20 minutes, wandering around...it was amazing and scary. I can only imagine what would have happened if I was walking the dog back there, which is our routine. 
 And for you online Christmas shoppers~I added this vintage kitchen scale to my shop~in Christmas colors!
 As well as this extra large silver plate centerpiece bowl marked Wallace. This would be so easy to set a bunch of ornaments and greens in for a holiday centerpiece~you can look at them by clicking here.
Next time I see you, I will have some Christmas decorations in place and I can't wait to share them with you!
Have a great weekend everybody!


No comments:

Post a Comment