Project: Framed Tin Tile


 
There is a hallway that leads from the kitchen to the front door.  It is the least photographed space on the first floor.  We use it as a message center and I have a few odds and ends hanging on the wall. One of those things was a big wooden sign that said VEGETABLES.  I bought it to use as an outdoor sign for my vegetable garden at our home in New Hampshire, that we no longer have.  So here it has been, with a dark green border and dark green lettering~just being kind of dark and random.  I painted the wooden border with a light coat of white chalk paint.
 I decided to use a piece of faux tin tile that you can get at the big box improvement stores in the kitchen department.  People use it for ceilings and for backsplashes to give vintage appeal.  It is heavy duty plastic.
This material is the same stuff I used to cover the shelf above my kitchen sink window.  You can read about how I did that by clicking here.  You will see I first used a lot of tole to decorate that window shelf.
I cut it into squares to fit inside the framework of the vegetable sign. Here is the message wall~not the prettiest spot~but it is getting a little attention as the kitchen undergoes a face lift.
A special heavy duty double stick tape is sold in the same section as the panels for adhering them to surfaces.  I taped out a grid shape pattern to attach my tin squares.
Tin panel gets cut into three squares~
Tin squares attached to the tape inside the frame.  The finish is not what I want, so I am going to paint it.
 A light coat of chalk paint~
 The result is a vintage looking piece of tin framed up like artwork.  This simple project took less than 15 minutes.  You could do a series of them in smaller sizes  to include on a gallery wall, or mix in with framed white mirrors.  I have pieces of tole along this wall. My pet peeve is that red wall plate for the furnace....ugh.
There will be a few other changes before I show off this ugly duckling hallway.  For now, the tin tile artwork is more cooperative in this setting than the big green vegetable sign~don't you think?

linking to
  Metamorphosis Monday
 Show off Your Cottage Monday
and
 Mod Mix Monday

No comments:

Post a Comment