Change of the Seasons


Living in New England makes for quick changes in the seasons, often before you are ready to let them go. It doesn't seem that long ago that spring had sprung after the snowiest winter I could remember!  I was so happy to see the forsythia blooming and the trees budding up~and with that came summer even faster.  This year I had lots of garden plans that involved climbing roses and building garden structures for my new roses to climb upon.  The plans are still in the works, the climbing rose has been planted, and it is going to need a support structure soon.  Before I was ready, Labor Day came, and with it the cooler weather and soon the tree leaves will turn~
Fall is upon us in New England, one of the prettiest times of the year.  This was taken last year as we zoomed down my sister's street on hub's motorcyle~a pastime he loves and that I reluctantly share.  I loved the color of the leaves in this picture, and when they litter the street it is kind of magical. When you think of fall, don't you think of New England?  We get a lot of "leaf peepers" this time of year who love seeing the changes.
This very chubby girl is me carrying my halloween pumpkin for trick or treating~my grandmother made this blue wool sweater with the white furry angora trim and the little bunny eared hat for me. Fall is the time for back to school and back to our nests and getting them all cozied up and ready for the long indoor spurt ahead. As reluctant as I am to give up on summer, there is something satisfying about the things Fall offers. Cooking apple pies, fires in the fireplace, kids on a schedule, and decorating our home for the new season.
I always start with the mantle~and this year I ordered some handmade pumpkins from a fellow blogger, Donna~ who writes A Life Reclaimed as well as sells things like these pumpkins in her online Etsy shop.  I am not an orange person! So when I saw these cream and brown pumpkins with the perfect green for leaves, I had to get them.
A tole tray I was able to get on eBay in a wonderful green color is my centerpiece~and lots of bits and pieces are stuffed in for falls abundance.
A couple of florentine trays and some leaf garland and ribbon are added to fill out the mantle. Have you tried the automatic pillar candles? Every night at dusk, they turn on automatically for 5 hours~ the room looks so cozy!  I found a four pack last year at Costco, and I love them!
This is a shot of one going at dusk as I was decorating the mantle...it looks just like real candlelight.
The other new fall thing is the old needlepoint stool I found at Brimfield.  It is just darling and rustic all at the same time.
As I said earlier, I don't like to do orange, so this mix of brown with my favorite minty greens and pinks with just a hint of orange in the binding gives it the fall colors that mix well with my living room colors.
I don't overdecorate my house during the fall season, but I do like some touches here and there.
Sending a typical early fall picture your way from New England~roses still blooming in our new cooler weather with mums on most everyone's front porch.




No comments:

Post a Comment