Twins, Curtains, and Hobby Lobby in KC

Last week I went to Kansas City to visit my little sister Susan
and her one year old daughters.
Its been a long time since I ran a household that included little feet, 
and two sets of little feet running in different directions is another story.
I tried to take a lot of pictures, but they would never stay put, and 
as soon as I would snap the picture one would look away or run away.
My  sister Ellen and I traveled from Boston to spend 5 days catching up
with Susan and her family. Also on my agenda was a trip to Hobby Lobby!
I  just love Hobby Lobby, and there are no HLs on the east coast.
 About 7 years ago Susan and Tim bought this house,
 and I went out to help them decorate.
I had window treatments made up, and we selected most of their furnishings. 
Their house was an example of House Beautiful...
fast forward 7 years and now it is a baby play zone. 
My how things can change!
 
 The dining nook off the kitchen has a turreted roof with full length windows.
I  picked out a pretty aqua blue and beige toile and
 made open swags and jabots on the tops with silhouette shades
 on the larger windows underneath.
 The upper windows were allowing too much sunlight
 into the kitchen causing annoying glare,
 so I made up some simulated solar shades to allow diffused light in, 
and keep the glare at bay. 
You can see the left two windows have the solar panels in place. 
I made these by stitching a simple rod pocket at the top 
on a flat fabric square that was made exactly the size of the glass.
 Susan plans to keep the glass covered by the panel, 
so there was no need to purchase a shade that would lift up. 
This was a cost effective savings of over $100 per window. 
 Finishing the installation of the last panel. 
The fabric is 100% polyester with a beige strie pattern.
The polyester will not fade, as cotton or linen would.
My god daughter is a budding window treatment installer.
This is the bank of living room windows that I made
 ultra long panels(135")  for with attached swags. 
The crooked lamp is bungie corded to the table! lol
I love the drama that super high ceilings create in a room,
 and the draperies were an elegant choice.
While visiting I also made some panels for the upper windows to 
eliminate the harsh glare. I forgot to take pictures of those~
Once upon a time...yes elegance reigned!
There were no slipcovers on each upholstered piece of furniture....
no toys scattered everywhere you looked, no baby gates....no babies!
 This picture shows the layout of the living room to the eat-in nook.
This door leads to a second floor deck overlooking the golf course.
This view is very picturesque. 
The whole time we were trying to get the two girls together
 to take one good picture of them wearing these 
darling wrap sweaters that my mother knitted for them. 
One twin would run off in a different direction, 
usually heading towards planters with dirt she could eat.
The cutest wrap style sweaters! 
Susan's husband Tim took this picture of Ellen, Susan and me.
 Do you see any family resemblance between us? I didn't think so!
Although most of the trip was about feeding, changing, and playing with the girls, 
I did get to go to Hobby Lobby as well as a wonderful antique co-op.
 I picked up a few treasures that I brought back home.
I loved this wire and wood handled tray from Hobby Lobby, 
so that came home in my suitcase.
This beautiful silver plate tray was waiting for me at the antique co-op. 
Purchased on hour before I left, it made my luggage exceed the 50 pound limit!
This large vintage mirror was a Craigslist find that 
I made arrangements to get the day I returned.
It will be getting a paint job (of course)
 and the reveal will be coming this week.
I will miss my little muffins! 
Spending time with them was the first time I have not blogged 
since I started last May~some things are just more important.


No comments:

Post a Comment