The whitening of a room

My living room today. 
Warm grey walls, white slipped furniture, pastel colors as accents.
This room has been through some drastic changes.
I laughed when I saw all the things I have done in this space.
Sometimes it just takes awhile to get things right.
Originally the room had a gold and pink palette
with vanilla yellow walls and wood furniture.
The room was like this for a few years.
And then.... I fell in love with this rug from Company C.
I jumped right into trying
a bright color scheme. But this rug didn't feel right with all the browns in the room.
 It was overpowering and busy.
Looking at this picture today, 
I can barely remember the room feeling or looking like this.
I still thought I wanted a fresher color scheme 
so I changed the pale yellow wall color to a brighter yellow.
 I hung up cheerful yellow london shades and toned down the rug.
The first bit of white gets added 
when I switched the sofa for this slipcovered one.
Still felt too bright and busy~so I took down the yellow curtains
and got rid of the black needlepoint rug in favor of a pastel hooked one.
A carved element was added to the fireplace wall and the room 
started taking on the look I was going for.
Greige paint on the walls was what happened next.
Ben Moore #1515 Natural Elements is the color.
This was a big transformation in the overall feel of the room.
The pale grey color lets white pop out, 
yet keeps the room warm and not sterile.
Suddenly the room was serene.
I played around with draperies for a while, 
adding pink silk panels here. 
The bookcase interiors got a pink paint job.
I  quickly tired of the pink drapes.
I love pink but I learned
pink has to be in small doses for me.
So down came the drapes....
White cotton smocked panels had an airiness that I craved.
Most of the wood furniture had been painted.
This room was really feeling right.
The original wood coffee table got a stenciled paint job
 that landed it an invitation to regain its original spot.
That is how this room evolved....
filled with white and pastels that feel so right.

linking to Songbird's


No comments:

Post a Comment